A grandfather was taken aback when he discovered a live snake in a bundle of broccoli he had purchased from an Aldi store. Neville Linton, 63, described the encounter with the ladder snake as a “frightening” experience.
Linton, a father of three, acquired the broccoli from an Aldi branch in Stourbridge, West Midlands. While retrieving it from his refrigerator to prepare a meal, he found the non-venomous snake nestled near the stem.
“It was pretty frightening. I’m not good with snakes,” confessed Linton, who resides in Birmingham.
He expressed gratitude that he had not left the broccoli unattended in the kitchen, as the snake could have roamed freely within the house.
“The situation would have posed a significant risk for us, considering we have two vulnerable individuals living here,” Linton added.
Subsequently, the snake was safely transported to Dudley Zoo.
Following the incident, Linton claimed that he had received an offer of compensation but felt it was inadequate. He emphasized that the amount offered did not adequately address the potential danger to his disabled son and vulnerable mother-in-law, who both reside with him.
A spokesperson for Aldi responded to the incident, stating, “Our supplier has never received a complaint of this nature and maintains robust protocols to prevent such issues from occurring. We are investigating this isolated incident and have apologized to Mr. Linton for not meeting our usual high standards.”
The ladder snake is indigenous to southwestern Europe, including Portugal, Spain, and southern France. While the species is not venomous, it is capable of delivering a serious bite.